Gay powers back with 9.77 in Rome
Tyson Gay is back. With a sensational 9.77 runaway victory in the 100m, the double World champion clearly demonstrated that Usain Bolt can expect serious company when the sprint wars begin at next month’s World championships in Berlin.
Gay’s was one of six 2009 world-leading performances at the 29th Golden Gala, the third stop on the six meet ÅF Golden League series, before a crowd of more than 35,000 who gathered on a perfect evening at the Stadio Olimpico.
Subtitles from Bob Ramsak's competition report for the IAAF:
* Four remain in Jackpot chase, Stewart impresses with 10.75
* Bekele getting into his groove
* Isinbayeva continues to improve
* Richards unchallenged
* Again, Thorkildsen ends Pitkämäki’s Jackpot hopes
* Jamal and Samitova storm to world leads
* DiMartino upsets Vlasic but Cusma falls just short
* Phillips beyond 8.60m again
* Harper reigns over full hurdles programme
* Kiprop and Yego cruise in the middle distances
IAAF website. Read article